A plastic surgery consultation will likely be your first interaction with the surgeon who will perform your procedure. This appointment is your chance to ask questions, learn more about the surgery you are interested in, and determine whether the surgeon will be a good fit for you. It’s helpful to have an idea of what you expect before your consultation so you can be prepared.
What Happens During Your Surgical Consultation
Before your appointment, you will need to fill out some forms related to your medical history. You can fill this out online ahead of time or at the office.
A member of our team will ask you more detailed questions about your medical history, lifestyle, and aesthetic goals. This will allow us to make tailored recommendations for your procedure.
You will meet the surgeon you will be working with and will have the opportunity to ask questions and learn more about the surgery you are interested in. We will discuss potential risks and will also give you an idea of what you can expect for results and recovery. You will also be able to see before and after pictures beyond what is available on our website.
We will also discuss the cost of the surgery and will outline financing options.
All in all, these initial visits usually take one to two hours. This gives you enough time to get answers to all your questions.
What to Ask Your Surgeon
Your plastic surgery consultation is an opportunity to learn more about the procedure you are considering and about the professionals you want to work with. You should ask questions to make sure you feel comfortable with your surgical team and to ensure you understand the risks and benefits of surgery.
Some things to ask include:
- What are your qualifications as a surgeon, and what credentials do your support team members have?
- Where do you operate?
- How much experience do you have with this procedure?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- Are there multiple options for addressing my cosmetic concerns and if so, what are your recommendations for which to choose?
- What risks are involved with this surgery?
- What type of anesthesia do you use for this surgery?
- What can I expect during the recovery period?
- What results can patients typically expect from this procedure?
- Can you show me before and after photos of patients with similar concerns to me?
What to Consider
After your initial consultation, there are two major questions you should be able to answer:
- Is plastic surgery (and this particular procedure) right for you?
- Do you want to work with this surgeon?
Many patients prefer to meet with multiple surgeons to determine which will be the best fit for them. In any case, you should feel comfortable with the surgeon you choose. When making a decision, consider before and after photos, qualifications, and your “gut feeling” about the surgeon and their staff.
Skilled Plastic Surgeons in Tucson
Hess, Sandeen, & Lee Plastic Surgery can help you love the way you look. Our surgeons are highly skilled and have extensive experience in a variety of cosmetic procedures.