As we age, our appearance changes. This is a natural process, but that doesn’t necessarily make it easier to manage the effect it can have on our confidence. Understanding the signs of facial aging and the reasons these changes occur can help you understand the aging process and also take the steps to adjust your appearance if you desire to do so.
Signs of facial aging include:
Over time, skin loses its elasticity. This is due in part to a reduction in the amount of the proteins elastin and collagen. It also occurs due to the redistribution of fat tissue under the skin, which causes some areas to look more hollow and creates sagging skin around these areas.
A facelift removes excess skin on the face and also adjusts the distribution of fat and muscle under the skin. This lifts sagging skin and restores a more youthful appearance.
Wrinkles are another major sign of facial aging. There are various different types of wrinkles, and each one has different causes.
- Dynamic wrinkles appear due to facial movements like smiling, laughing, or frowning.
- Static wrinkles form due to the loss of elastin and collagen making skin less elastic.
- Gravitational folds form due to skin sagging.
Each type of wrinkle has a corresponding treatment. Since it’s common to have multiple types, you may find that combining treatments is beneficial.
- Botulinum toxin injections, such as Dysport, reduce the appearance of dynamic wrinkles.
- When it comes to treating static wrinkles, injectable fillers are usually the best option.
- Gravitational folds are harder to address non-surgically and a facelift is usually recommended.
Bags Under Eyes
Aging can contribute to the appearance of bags under your eyes. This is due to thinning of skin in the area, fat redistribution, and loss of skin elasticity. You may also notice other signs of aging around the eyes, such as crow’s feet or sagging upper eyelids.
Blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery, can correct issues with both the upper and lower eyelids. This can be a great surgery to pair with a facelift and can also create outstanding results on its own.
Preventing Signs of Aging
It’s impossible to completely prevent aging, but there are some ways to minimize its visible signs for as long as possible.
- Always wear sunscreen and minimize your exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. This is also important to prevent skin cancer.
- Consider preventative botulinum toxin injections if you are noticing dynamic wrinkles starting to form.
- Be consistent with your skin care routine, including moisturizing.
Plastic Surgery in Tucson
If you are interested in reducing signs of aging or addressing other cosmetic issues, we can help. We are experienced with a variety of plastic surgeries and also offer non-surgical procedures including Dysport and fillers.