Cosmetic procedures can help improve your appearance and boost your confidence. In recent years, more people have embraced the benefits of plastic surgery. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) releases an annual report that contains plastic surgery statistics. Their most recent 2020 report includes interesting information about trends in cosmetic surgery and non-surgical procedures.
Interesting facts from the 2019 ASPS Plastic Surgery Statistics Report:
Types of Cosmetic Procedures
- The top three most common plastic surgeries in 2019 were breast augmentation (299,715), liposuction (265,209), and eyelid surgery/blepharoplasty (211,005).
- Breast augmentation has been the most common plastic surgery since 2006. However, the number of these procedures performed in 2019 decreased 4% from 2018.
- The surgeries with the biggest growth between 2018 and 2019 were breast implant removal (+15%), labiaplasty (+6%), and upper arm lift (+6%).
- Some of the surgeries with the biggest growth since 2000 were upper arm lift (+5318%), lower body lift (+4133%), breast lift (+114%), tummy tuck (+97%), and thigh lift (+96%).
- There were 7,697,798 botulinum toxin type A injections in 2019. This represents a 4% growth since 2018 and an 878% growth since 2000. It was the most popular non-surgical procedure by far with approximately 5 million more procedures performed than the runner-up, soft tissue fillers.
Plastic surgery has become more common for men, but women still represent the large majority of patients. 92% of all cosmetic procedures in 2019 were performed on women whereas 8% were performed on men. Women underwent 1.5 million surgeries and 13.4 million minimally-invasive treatments compared to 211,000 surgeries and 1.1 million minimally-invasive treatments for men.
- 13-19 years old: This age group represented the smallest number of cosmetic procedures (1% of the total: 64,000 surgeries and 160,000 non-surgical procedures). Some of the most common surgeries for these individuals were male breast reduction (gynecomastia surgery) and ear surgery (otoplasty).
- 20-29 years old: Individuals in this age group underwent 259,000 surgical and 565,000 non-surgical procedures. These numbers decreased slightly since 2018.
- 30-39 years old: There were 2.9 million procedures recorded for this age group in total: 394,000 surgeries and 2.6 million minimally-invasive treatments.
- 40-54 years old: This group represents the largest percentage (49%) of cosmetic procedures. This number includes 568,000 surgical and 7.3 million non-surgical procedures. Liposuction is the most popular procedure for individuals between 40 and 54 years old, followed by blepharoplasty.
- 55+ years old: Individuals over 55 underwent 385,000 plastic surgeries and 3.9 million non-surgical treatments, for a total of 4.3 million cosmetic procedures. Since 2018, this has increased slightly. Blepharoplasty was the most common type of plastic surgery for this group.
Are You Considering Plastic Surgery?
If you are considering a surgical or a non-surgical cosmetic procedure, then you are not alone. Plastic surgery continues to grow more popular and there are many different options. We can help you find the best way to achieve your desired look.